Podtacular has had 1 hour shows once a month since January called the “Halo 3 show” where we talk mostly about what people want to see in Halo 3. There have been hundreds and hundreds of suggestions, and these are the ones people want to see the most.
I intentionally left out things Bungie has already confirmed, such as new vehicles, maps and weapons, the return of some older levels, larger battles in campaign, and new game types in matchmaking.
10. Armor that takes visible damage. People suggested chunks of armor flying off or armor denting, scratching, or cracking. This would make for a more realistic portrayal of damage. Although it would go beyond the energy shield being the first line of defense, it would add to the realism.
9. Dynamic weather and daylight. For another way to customize a level and make it interesting, many people suggested having the option for weather such as snow, rain or fog on a level to change the feel and playability. Also having different times of day or night would change the whole look and bring midnight snipers into the mix.
8. More interactive and destructible maps. Most everybody loved the addition of things like the openable gate and deployable bridge on Zanzibar, the openable transporter on Relic, etc. And they want more! More interaction with the level would make for more interesting games. People also suggested more capability to destroy parts of levels, such as an assault bomb going off destroying walls, floors and ceilings around it.
7. A survival mode. A gameplay mode where you have to see how long you can survive while waves and waves of covenant are sent in to try and take you out. Like it or not, lots of people suggested this.
6. Usable Jackal shield. This seems to be the most obvious answer to the notorious “noob combo.” Holding the Jackal shield would obstruct your vision and you could only hold a dual-wieldable weapon in your other hand, which would even it out. It could be taken out with a plasma pistol overcharge or enough damage, similar to the portable shields in the single player levels of Halo 1 and 2. Some have even suggested a marine shield such as a riot shield as an alternative.
5. More playable characters. We know that not all the Spartans are dead according to the books. Why not make different Spartans with different armor or capabilities available to play as? Playable covenent didn’t work because of the larger headshot target, but maybe it could be done with other aliens or Spartans? Or maybe some other character we haven’t thought of yet?
4. A map editor. Games such as Far Cry: Instincts already have this available on the Xbox. Why not Halo 3? This really could be a killer feature if done right. There could be a way to share created maps for custom games in kind of a marketplace.
3. Online cooperative play. This feature was clearly planned for Halo 2, but apparently couldn’t be completed in time. Cooperative game play builds teamwork and allows non-competitive players to enjoy playing with other people. Of course many would prefer for the difficulty to be hiked up somehow to accomodate for an extra soldier on the battlefield.
2. A flyable Pelican. The main reason people want this is to have a viable troop transport vehicle where you can send in an overwhelming force of foot soldiers. As long as you can get them there of course, which is where balance comes in. Some have suggested being able to take it down with 4 rockets or even having an anti-aircraft gun. Others have suggested an alternative to the pelican being a warthog or other ground vehicle that carries lots of troops. Either way, lots of people want a flyable pelican and they want it in Halo 3!
1. Bots. Love it or hate it, tons of people want to see bots as an option in Halo 3 multiplayer. It would help to learn the basics of multiplayer without getting yelled at, it would help to practice and fine-tune techniques, and it would at least even out the teams when you want to even them out with a bot.
Agree with these? Disagree? Let us know in the comments below! You can also send in stuff you want to see in Halo 3 and if it’s good and unique, we’ll mention it on the podcast.